Skip to main content

Altered Bird Cage

This is one really made me think outside the box.  I wanted to create a 3D item, and this is what I ended up coming up with.


I used the Tim Holtz Alterations Sizzix Bigz Caged Bird Die to create this.  I cut the cage 4 times, the bird once and the wing twice out of medium weight chipboard.  Then I painted the 4 cages on both sides with Rusty Hinge Distress Paint from Tim Holtz and sprayed them with some Sunflower Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels.

I glued the sides of the cages together with some Scotch Quick Dry Tacky Adhesive and just held them until it was dry and just did that for all 4 sides.  Then I, very gently bent in the tops of the bird cages (I cut off the little bump that is on top of the hanging whole) and used the Scotch glue again to glue them together.  I also used some Tim Holtz jump rings to help hold the tops together until the glue was dry and holding.  Then I use another jump ring through the wholes on the top to hold them together and to attach the swivel clasp to. 


 I put a wing on each side of the bird and then painted it with my Viva Decor Inka golds (lava red, old silver, and orange for the bird and copper for the branch it's on) and used some Shimmerz Dazzlers (licorice stick) to accent it's color changes and hung it inside.  Then I decorated the cage with some Shimmerz Textures (crushed coral and gritty graphite), trim, flowers and other embellishments.  The flowers in the bottom corners are made of UTEE.  I melted clear UTEE in my melting pot and then poured it into a silicone flower mold.  I then painted them with red Viva Decor Precious Metals paint.


One of my favorite parts though, which I show in the 3rd picture, is I used Tim Holtz tissue tape to cover the bottom to make it look like newspaper.  The bottom is just a piece of Chipboard cut to size painted with the same paint and then glued on.  I made sure to spray the bottom with the Sunflower Glimmer Mist to it matches the rest of the cage.  The whole thing hangs on a Tim Holtz Swivel Clasp.

I would have to say that this is one of my favorite projects to date!!  I absolutely love the way it turned out and I had so much fun making it.

Happy Crafting!!!!


Comments

  1. Hi Kerri, I I take time to visit you, as I also wanted to thank you for your really kind comment on my last banner for Tando ! This altered bird cage is wonderful !!! Great work, really ! :D Enjoy your week-end, Hugs Coco x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Coco!! Your banner was beautiful and inspiring!! Thanks for the visit :)
      Hugs!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frisky Melon!!

 I made this card for the Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog's Challenge Me Monday Contest!!  Yay!!  I started with a piece of pink cardstock cut at 5 1/2"x 8 1/2" and folded it in half for the base of my card.  This was from one of The Paper Company's value packs.  Then I cut a piece of black cardstock, also from The Paper Company, at 5 1/4"x 4" and used it as my first layer.  I attached this using my ATG gun. For my second layer I cut a piece of paper from the Colorbok Pattern Pack at 5"x 3 3/4".  I then wrapped a piece of grosgrain ribbon around it and secured it in the back using regular tape.  Then I attached the whole thing using my ATG gun.   I cut the watermelon at 4" using the "Stretch Your Imagination" cartridge with my Cricut Expression.  I used a black, pink and green paper, all were from The Paper Company value packs.  I attached it to the card using 3D-Dots. Then to finish off this card I added a My P...

Project 7

My hubby has his own "crafting" that he does, he tears apart and rebuilds cars.  He bought a Mazda RX7 when we first arrived in Germany and he is turning it into his own little race car.  The only way I can understand it is to compare it to my crafting and he gets just as excited over car parts as I do over crafting supplies, so it must be a really awesome thing to him LOL!!!!So I wanted to make him something to recognize his project.   I took that canvas that I messed up the first canvas transfer on and I gessoed it until you could no longer see the attempt at the image transfer. First I used my Faber Castell Gelatos, metalic gold, squid ink, and silver and I randomly added them to the canvas and blended them in using my finger.  I also used my black gelato to distress the edges of the canvas and blended it with my finger.  Then I used a gears 6x6 mask from Crafters' Workshop and covered it with modeling paste and let it dry.  Once it was dry I us...

Anything Goes Challenge Blog #58

 I'm posting this all in one blog post because I'm entering it in Anything Goes Challenge Blog's Challenge #58 .   I felt the whole project was too big for one post so I've been working on posting each mini album and the toolbox in their own posts.  Today I finished up posting the mini albums on my blog, so here I posed a couple pics with a link to the individual posts. This was a craft project that I made for my husband the Vehicle Mechanic, in and out of the USAF, for Christmas.  To see my post on the tool box click here: Tool Box  To see my post on the socket set click here:  Socket Set  To see my post on the drill click here:  Drill To see my post on the wrench set click here:  Wrench Set  To see my post on the saw please click here:  Saw To see my post on the gears please click here:  Gears Happy Crafting!!!!