Skip to main content

Project 7

My hubby has his own "crafting" that he does, he tears apart and rebuilds cars.  He bought a Mazda RX7 when we first arrived in Germany and he is turning it into his own little race car.  The only way I can understand it is to compare it to my crafting and he gets just as excited over car parts as I do over crafting supplies, so it must be a really awesome thing to him LOL!!!!So I wanted to make him something to recognize his project.  

I took that canvas that I messed up the first canvas transfer on and I gessoed it until you could no longer see the attempt at the image transfer.

First I used my Faber Castell Gelatos, metalic gold, squid ink, and silver and I randomly added them to the canvas and blended them in using my finger.  I also used my black gelato to distress the edges of the canvas and blended it with my finger.  Then I used a gears 6x6 mask from Crafters' Workshop and covered it with modeling paste and let it dry.  Once it was dry I used some Viva Decor Inka Gold in Copper and rubbed it all over the modeling paste using my finger.  I added a couple Tim Holtz Gears a the bottom.  I also added some sheet-rock tape in the top corner and covered it with some Copper Inka Gold as well.  I them sprayed the whole canvas with Lindy's Stamp Gang spray, Gossamer Gold. 


The 2 nuts and the screw I gessoed with grey gesso and then sprayed them with some the Gossamer Gold spray and some Burnt Umber as well.  The title I made using chipboard letters.  I attached them to a scrap piece of cardstock and carefully added pieces of aluminum foil tape over them.  You need to be really careful as the foil tape rips easy, you definitely need to use small pieces.  I used my Walnut Hallow metal working tools to help define the letters.  You just have to carefully push it down around the letters.  Then I used my tools to add some metal looking details to it.  I painted it with black acrylic paint and while it was still wet I wiped it off with a paper towel to give it the old metal look.  I also used some Copper Inka Gold to help give the foil an aged metal look.
For the gears I covered a tick piece of cardstock with my foil tape and then put it through my Sizzix Big Shot  in my Tim Holtz Gears embossing folder.  Then I cut around the image and used the acrylic black paint and the Copper Inka Gold in the same fashion as on the letters to get the aged look.
Then I picked out the pictures to put on it, with the help of my hubby and sized them to fit where I wanted them.  I used matte mod-podge to attach them to the canvas and then I added a layer over the pictures to seal them on.  
The Tim Holtz game piece at the bottom I used my versa mark pen to cover the "7" and the border (it's normally red) and then I used black UTEE to make it black to match the canvas.


I thought the picture above was the finished project, but then I decided that I wanted the pictures to stand out more.  So I outlined them with black acrylic paint and it did exactly what I wanted!!!!


The sides of the canvas are also covered with aluminum foil tape and marked up with metal working tools and I used black acrylic paint on it to give it an aged look.  I didn't get a picture of the sides before my hubby took it to work to hang on his office wall. 

I think that covers everything.  If you have any questions just ask :)

Happy Crafting!!!!

Comments

  1. Hi Kerri-Jo: Wasnt sure how to contact you, but you left a comment on Frog Dog Studio - yes, if the 'mailing address' is US based, please feel free to apply. :)
    Hugs,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina,
      Great!! Thank you very much for replying to me!! I will see what I have for projects that I can submit!! Mixed Media is my newest adventure, but I'm loving it!!!
      Hugs,
      Kerri

      Delete
  2. Hi Kerri-Jo, awesome project! I love all the metal details, the pictures are just perfect for the project! Your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lolis!!! Metal is the way to go when you are trying to do masculine stuff!!

      Hugs,
      Kerri

      Delete
  3. Hello Kerri-Jo, I think this an awesome project, your husband must love it, where does it live in the garage or in the Home? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! He actually hung it in his office at work. Everyone there loves it too!!

      Hugs,
      Kerri

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Danger ATC

This is an Artist Trading Card (ATC) that I created for the Diemond Dies' Design Team Call.  The background is a couple different mixed media techniques, mod podging tissue paper with lots of wrinkles in it and then stamping on top of it.  Then I used some Shimmerz Texturez to add even more texture and then some gray gesso is added in there too. I used some corrugated cardboard to add some texture and then I used the Tim Holtz Tattered Banners Die and Bat & Skull dies for my embellishments.   On the bat I covered it with haematite Inka Gold, buffed it and then adhered it with 3-D Dots.  The skull I gessoed, colored it with my Faber Castell Big Brush Pens and then used some Shimmerz Texturez to put the "cracks" on it. This is one of my favorite ATCs that I have ever made.  I hope you enjoyed it too!! Happy Crafting!!!!  

Time to Create a Unique View

This is an altered canvas that I created for Diemond Dies' Design Team call.  It was my first big mixed media project and I absolutely love how it turned out!!!! I got lots of different close up pics. I just love that clock piece in the corner! This view finder die is a must have, it was so much fun to use!  I cut it in black chipboard and then again in chipboard covered in white paper.  I then took the squares from the black one that I cut out and put them in the white one and it actually looks like a view finder disc!! Don't forget the sides of your canvases! So pretty! The arrow is pointing to the way to read the words for the title of the canvas, completely unintentional. Love those butterflies.  I got these in a swap but I know you can find them on Etsy! Well I hope you enjoyed my pics, if you have any questions please just ask.  As you will see in future posts I did end up making the team.

Frisky Melon!!

 I made this card for the Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog's Challenge Me Monday Contest!!  Yay!!  I started with a piece of pink cardstock cut at 5 1/2"x 8 1/2" and folded it in half for the base of my card.  This was from one of The Paper Company's value packs.  Then I cut a piece of black cardstock, also from The Paper Company, at 5 1/4"x 4" and used it as my first layer.  I attached this using my ATG gun. For my second layer I cut a piece of paper from the Colorbok Pattern Pack at 5"x 3 3/4".  I then wrapped a piece of grosgrain ribbon around it and secured it in the back using regular tape.  Then I attached the whole thing using my ATG gun.   I cut the watermelon at 4" using the "Stretch Your Imagination" cartridge with my Cricut Expression.  I used a black, pink and green paper, all were from The Paper Company value packs.  I attached it to the card using 3D-Dots. Then to finish off this card I added a My Pink St