Skip to main content

Altered Bird Cage

This is one really made me think outside the box.  I wanted to create a 3D item, and this is what I ended up coming up with.


I used the Tim Holtz Alterations Sizzix Bigz Caged Bird Die to create this.  I cut the cage 4 times, the bird once and the wing twice out of medium weight chipboard.  Then I painted the 4 cages on both sides with Rusty Hinge Distress Paint from Tim Holtz and sprayed them with some Sunflower Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels.

I glued the sides of the cages together with some Scotch Quick Dry Tacky Adhesive and just held them until it was dry and just did that for all 4 sides.  Then I, very gently bent in the tops of the bird cages (I cut off the little bump that is on top of the hanging whole) and used the Scotch glue again to glue them together.  I also used some Tim Holtz jump rings to help hold the tops together until the glue was dry and holding.  Then I use another jump ring through the wholes on the top to hold them together and to attach the swivel clasp to. 


 I put a wing on each side of the bird and then painted it with my Viva Decor Inka golds (lava red, old silver, and orange for the bird and copper for the branch it's on) and used some Shimmerz Dazzlers (licorice stick) to accent it's color changes and hung it inside.  Then I decorated the cage with some Shimmerz Textures (crushed coral and gritty graphite), trim, flowers and other embellishments.  The flowers in the bottom corners are made of UTEE.  I melted clear UTEE in my melting pot and then poured it into a silicone flower mold.  I then painted them with red Viva Decor Precious Metals paint.


One of my favorite parts though, which I show in the 3rd picture, is I used Tim Holtz tissue tape to cover the bottom to make it look like newspaper.  The bottom is just a piece of Chipboard cut to size painted with the same paint and then glued on.  I made sure to spray the bottom with the Sunflower Glimmer Mist to it matches the rest of the cage.  The whole thing hangs on a Tim Holtz Swivel Clasp.

I would have to say that this is one of my favorite projects to date!!  I absolutely love the way it turned out and I had so much fun making it.

Happy Crafting!!!!


Comments

  1. Hi Kerri, I I take time to visit you, as I also wanted to thank you for your really kind comment on my last banner for Tando ! This altered bird cage is wonderful !!! Great work, really ! :D Enjoy your week-end, Hugs Coco x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Coco!! Your banner was beautiful and inspiring!! Thanks for the visit :)
      Hugs!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Danger ATC

This is an Artist Trading Card (ATC) that I created for the Diemond Dies' Design Team Call.  The background is a couple different mixed media techniques, mod podging tissue paper with lots of wrinkles in it and then stamping on top of it.  Then I used some Shimmerz Texturez to add even more texture and then some gray gesso is added in there too. I used some corrugated cardboard to add some texture and then I used the Tim Holtz Tattered Banners Die and Bat & Skull dies for my embellishments.   On the bat I covered it with haematite Inka Gold, buffed it and then adhered it with 3-D Dots.  The skull I gessoed, colored it with my Faber Castell Big Brush Pens and then used some Shimmerz Texturez to put the "cracks" on it. This is one of my favorite ATCs that I have ever made.  I hope you enjoyed it too!! Happy Crafting!!!!  

Time to Create a Unique View

This is an altered canvas that I created for Diemond Dies' Design Team call.  It was my first big mixed media project and I absolutely love how it turned out!!!! I got lots of different close up pics. I just love that clock piece in the corner! This view finder die is a must have, it was so much fun to use!  I cut it in black chipboard and then again in chipboard covered in white paper.  I then took the squares from the black one that I cut out and put them in the white one and it actually looks like a view finder disc!! Don't forget the sides of your canvases! So pretty! The arrow is pointing to the way to read the words for the title of the canvas, completely unintentional. Love those butterflies.  I got these in a swap but I know you can find them on Etsy! Well I hope you enjoyed my pics, if you have any questions please just ask.  As you will see in future posts I did end up making the team.

Frisky Melon!!

 I made this card for the Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog's Challenge Me Monday Contest!!  Yay!!  I started with a piece of pink cardstock cut at 5 1/2"x 8 1/2" and folded it in half for the base of my card.  This was from one of The Paper Company's value packs.  Then I cut a piece of black cardstock, also from The Paper Company, at 5 1/4"x 4" and used it as my first layer.  I attached this using my ATG gun. For my second layer I cut a piece of paper from the Colorbok Pattern Pack at 5"x 3 3/4".  I then wrapped a piece of grosgrain ribbon around it and secured it in the back using regular tape.  Then I attached the whole thing using my ATG gun.   I cut the watermelon at 4" using the "Stretch Your Imagination" cartridge with my Cricut Expression.  I used a black, pink and green paper, all were from The Paper Company value packs.  I attached it to the card using 3D-Dots. Then to finish off this card I added a My Pink St